Thursday

Private Wells and Septic Systems

Thank goodness the rain is still coming down here in Charlotte. We've had a devastating drought this summer and these last few days of continual rain have been welcomed by everyone. We were just weeks away from forcibly having to cut our water consumption by 50% as ordered by NC Governer Easley.

I'm on a well out here in Union County, and I've never had the luxury of having well water. Coming from New York City, there's no such thing and I'd always heard negative things. I'm on septic tank as well, and I've always heard horrors about those as well. Well, truth be told, I haven't really found a single pinch of difference. In fact, I'm starting to think it's better.

For one, my well water does taste perfectly delicious. I had it all tested before I moved in, and the water had no unusual bacteria or chemicals present. It also doesn't have any fluoride that one usually finds in local city water, so you have to make sure to use fluoride toothpaste. No big deal, as we all do that already.

I'd always heard that the water pressure coming from well water is not as good as city water. Well, that's not true either. We have the same exact pressure level. And, the best part about it, is that I don't have a water bill. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

The idea of a septic did kind of scare me I have to admit. I was warned (by city dwellers) that they always stopped up and stuff always came back up. Well, in the six months I've been on a septic that has not happened. Knock on wood. I definitely have become more conscious of what I put down the drain, tho. I thought nothing of tossing frying pan oil down the drain when I was connected to a sewer--which I already know isn't the right thing to do either. Now, I can it and throw it in the trash. We also don't allow our garbage disposal to grind up half of a meal so that it clogs the septic. I guess, overall, I've become more conscious as to what my pipes are eating. And I don't have a sewer bill. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Even though I could have continued to water my lawn all summer despite the drought because I have my own well, but I did not. I never watered once. I have a patchy, half-dry lawn like those of you on city water. We turn the water off while we brush our teeth and all that usual fare. We're trying to be reasonably kind to the environment. Around my neighborhood, however, there are a few million dollar mansions with the lushest, greenest lawns I've ever seen. There's a big sign out front of each that warns "Irrigated by Private Wells," just in case neighbors decide to call the governing agents on them because they're being wasteful. Hmmm.....

One needs to maintain these systems as any other part of your home, of course. You should have a septic company come out and check your system annually, and there's recommended products such as BioSafe that you're supposed to flush down the toilet to keep things clean and in working order. You can also get a water check test kit for under $10 bucks to check the bacteria levels in your well annually.

In Charlotte, most of the newer neighborhoods within the city limits are connected to sewers and public water, but out here in greener pastures there's many homes with quite the opposite situation. In fact, most people living in the USA do not have access to public water or sewers. So, don't be afraid of being in charge of your own water and sewage. You won't miss the bills!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.