Tuesday

Fresh Milk Delivery to Your Home in Charlotte and Fort Mill

Yep, it may sound crazy, but the milkman still does deliveries to your house. About two months ago, I contracted with Lakeview Farms Home Delivery, which has a farm up in the Blue Ridge Mountains and does home delivery in the Fort Mill/Union County area.


I confess I'm not one of these organic, health food crazed people and I am usually not willing to pay more for something organic. In other words, I don't actively seek out organic foods at all. What I did seek, however, was convenience. I have two young boys at home that consume milk as if they were little calves, so I couldn't keep racing to the supermarket every few minutes. I concluded that I was willing to pay a wee bit more for my milk if someone would bring it to my door (I guess that's the New Yorker in me coming out). Little did I know, that Lakeview was not just going to bring me convenience, but way better tasting milk.

You get a chance to talk to the owner of Lakeview Farms, Jim, when you call to set up your service and make sure you're in the delivery area. He describes their offerings, which includes much more than milk--they've also got eggs, cheese, yogurt, butter, juice and all other sorts of organic goods. They come to your door and bring you a small, metal insulated milk box that you keep by your front or back door, and this is where Jim will drop your goodies. Last week, while I was traveling to NYC on business, I gave Jim access to my garage refrigerator and he simply put my order in there for me since I wasn't home.

The milk comes in those wonderful glass bottles like your grandma had. What I love about them right off the bat, is that they have a handy plastic handle to carry them around. Also, they're recyclable glass, so when I'm done with them I simply rinse them out and put them in my milk box for Jim to take away. But the absolute best part is the quality of the milk. The stuff is thick and rich--even the 2% variety!

You need to give the bottle a shake before you pour so the creaminess swishes around. One of the delivery men advised me that milk in the supermarket is easily a month or more old before you buy it. It's completely pasteurized to the point that it is sterile so that it lasts a long time on the shelf. Plus, it comes from hormone filled cows. He told me that my Lakeview Farms milk was just pulled from the cow a few days before and that the pasteurization process is a little less severe than mass produced milk. It kills all the necessary bacteria without rendering it completely sterile. My milk dude also advised that my milk came from happy cows--roaming freely to eat pasture and not tied to some stall eating feed. I like happy cows. I want them to be happy so they can make this tasty milk for me.

My 4 year old outright asks me for milk to drink since we hooked up with Lakeview Farms. He loves the stuff and says that it's as creamy as ice-cream. I get the full milk for the kids, and the 2% for the adults. The stuff is dreamily divine. Yummy even.

To be straight, it is more expensive than the supermarket stuff--$3.39 for a half gallon. But it is completely worthwhile as far as convenience and taste, in my opinion.

Lakeview Farms doesn't deliver everywhere, but a call to them will let you know if you're within their delivery footprint. Owner Jim was telling me that a couple of folks in one particular Weddington neighborhood wanted their milk so badly, that they petitioned the rest of their subdivision and got a dozen other families interested and they successfully scored a place on the delivery route.

Here's other home delivery services around the Charlotte region:

Absolute Organics - Veggies and fruits

If you know of any others, please let Charlotte Central readers know by submitting their names here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.